Did you know…
1) Only mammals are susceptible to the burning sensation of capsaicin.
2) All varieties of peppers (including those bred for heat in labs) come from just five domesticated strains of peppers.
3) There are five different categories of flavor; salty, sweet, bitter, sour, and umami. You will notice, however, the intense spice that the chili pepper is famous for isn’t one of them! Instead of a type of flavor, the spice of a chili pepper is considered a type of pain!
4) Green, red and orange bell peppers are the exact same plant, just at different levels of ripeness.
5) The current hottest pepper in the world is the Carolina Reaper, a Frankenstein Monster of a plant bred by the Puckerbutt Pepper Company.
Be on the lookout for more Chili Babbles as the 2017 Hashbrown Chili Cook-Off & Carnival approaches on Saturday, February 25. In the meantime, reserve your ticket for unlimited chili and print-themed carnival games!