Deadline to Apply: Sunday, November 4, 2018
The Spudnik Press Exhibitions Program invites exhibition proposals from artists and curators. This is our annual opportunity for individuals or collaborators to submit proposals for solo or small group exhibitions. Proposals may be for existing or new work. Membership at Spudnik Press is not required to submit proposals.
In 2019, Spudnik Press will present a total of five exhibitions. Of these five exhibitions, three will be juried selections. Additionally, new in 2019, one of three juried exhibition spots will be awarded to a distinguished proposal submitted by a Spudnik Press member, whether that is a solo or small group exhibition.
Exhibition proposals are reviewed by a committee of Spudnik Press active members, as well as guest curators. Final selections are made using the organizations’s curatorial statement (below) as a guidepost. Strong proposals will resonate with the curatorial priorities of Spudnik Press Cooperative.
Please note, while installations and performances may be included in proposals, 2-D or wall-mounted artwork is typically best suited for the gallery, which functions as a multi-purpose space. Additionally, we welcome proposals from beyond Chicago, however, applicants should be aware that there is a very limited budget per exhibition and they may be responsible for much of the shipping costs and travel to and from Spudnik Press.
Spudnik Press Cooperative Curatorial Statement:
Spudnik Press exhibitions amplify the impact of our resources by providing opportunities for artists and audiences to move through a variety of creative roles: from making to experiencing, and learning to teaching.
Spudnik Press showcases work that has ongoing relevance to our mission and vision, while also encouraging a breadth of community participation. Exhibitions create an active platform to expand and diversify our cooperative.
To achieve these goals, Spudnik Press Exhibitions:
- Are selected by a curatorial committee that includes active members.
- Emphasize printmaking and print-based projects within contemporary art practices.
- Showcase the creative, analytical and/or technical process of art making.
- Feature exceptional projects, whether produced at Spudnik Press or beyond.
- Engage diverse levels of professional experience.
Spudnik Press Exhibitions offer participating artists opportunities to:
- Produce new fine art prints.
- Present corresponding educational programming.
- Present Artist Talks.
- Proposals due: Sunday, November 4, 2018.
- Applicants will be notified by Friday, November 16, 2018.
- Exhibitions will occur between January 2019 and January 2020. The first juried exhibition for 2019 is scheduled for January 11 – March 16, 2019.
- Exhibitions typically run for 9 weeks with two weeks in between shows for gallery preparation.
Additional Exhibition Resources:
*Please note, while not required, we appreciate exhibition proposals that give consideration to our gallery’s capabilities and limitations. For this reason, we highly recommend that you make use of the gallery floor plan in developing your exhibition, especially if your proposal will include any installation-based work.
Please e-mail the following proposal materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2019 Exhibition Proposal” in the subject line.
1) PDF including the documents listed below in the following order:
- Applicant(s) contact information. Please include your address, phone number, and email address.
- Working title for the exhibition.
- Exhibition/Curatorial Statement.Description of the exhibition, both conceptually and visually. (500 words max)
- Artist Statement(s) and Bio(s). Brief statement for each artist and bio for each artist. Include websites, blogs, notable artistic achievements, other relevant material.
- Resume or CV. Please only submit a resume or CV for the applicant(s), not each individual artist.
- Three professional references. Please include relationship to the applicant(s).
- Image List. Including artist name, title, year of completion, medium, dimensions, and name of file.
- Public Program (optional). Applicants are welcome to submit a brief description for a public program related to the exhibitions, i.e. an artist talk, workshop, etc.
2) Sample Images:
- For both solo exhibitions and small group exhibitions, include up to 10 images of work that will be included in the exhibition.
- Sketches may be included for forthcoming work.
- Images need not exceed 1 MB each.
- Work samples files should be labeled as follows: LASTNAME_01.jpg, LASTNAME_02.jpg, etc.
Accepted Exhibition Proposals
Accepted applicants will be notified by Friday, November 16, 2018. Spudnik Press staff will work with the accepted applicants to determine the exhibition’s dates, layout, timeline for the production of the small-run micro publication, and other programming details. Artwork on loan to Spudnik Press may be available for sale at the discretion of the artist(s). The artist(s) may request that purchasers contact them directly. Spudnik Press kindly asks for 25% of the proceeds from sales made be donated to the studio.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com. Incomplete exhibition proposals will not be considered.