On April 1, 2020, a new authorization process will be rolled out for artists who are new to our studio and already have satisfactory knowledge of their craft.
Anyone who would like to become authorized to print at Spudnik Press or use our studio will need to complete a Studio Access Training led by staff. These sessions ensure that all makers are proficient and confident using the equipment in our studios and following our specific procedures and guidelines.
These sessions are not lessons: they are for makers who already are comfortable printing or working independently.
Why the change?
- It’s hard to start working at a new studio! Our newest printers deserve more support and guidance from our staff.
- Over 1,200 people a year make art here! This new authorization process will help us keep our studio clean and cohesive.
- Spudnik Press is a shared space! Sharing space and resources requires mutual investment from everyone involved. Studio training sessions are a way for staff to really engage with the print community and vice versa. We hope the time spent working side by side in the studio will lead to everyone feeling more comfortable in our studios and invested in making our space the best it can be for everyone.
What you can expect:
- Small group setting
- 90-minute to 3-hour session
- Overview of the many ways artists can print independently at Spudnik Press
- Details regarding rules, regulations, and best practices specific to Spudnik Press
- A focus on personal safety, care and maintenance of tools and supplies
- A combination of discussions, demos, and hands-on projects
- Opportunity to ask technical questions and brush up on techniques
- Complimentary Open Studio coupon valued at $5-22
To help ensure that our studio is accessible to all, in addition to private trainings, we welcome additional requests for reasonable accommodations to support those with various learning styles, physical abilities, and financial limitations.