Spudnik Press is temporarily reducing our offerings and will not be offering a Summer Internship. Please check back soon, or sign up to be notified as we resume accepting applications.
Internships at Spudnik Press focus on bringing students into every aspect of facilitating a community art studio. Internships balance administrative tasks with hands-on studio-based projects. Interns are able to work alongside a variety of Spudnik Press staff to focus on 2-3 of the following areas of focus:
- Administration: Database management, processing enrollment and memberships, etc.
- Development: Donor acknowledgement, event planning and organizing
- Marketing: Social media, online postings, e-newsletters, design and distribution of materials
- Exhibitions & Sales: Planning and organizing, install and deinstall, photo documentation
- Education: Teaching assistance for group classes, workshops, and field trips
- Publishing: Printing assistance for client, invitational, and internal projects, archive maintenance
- Studio Maintenance: Inventory, press maintenance, cleaning, and organizing
Within a typical week, interns will support a variety of projects ranging from daily maintenance of the studio, deep cleaning, stocking and ordering supplies, updating the website, online marketing, documenting artwork, event planning assistance, processing memberships, and managing our archive.
Additionally, all interns complete Member Interview and collaboratively organize and execute a social media takeover to promote both the organization and their own artistic practice.
After becoming familiar with the daily operations of Spudnik Press Cooperative, interns are able to focus on a larger project that builds off of their abilities and learning goals, while meeting the needs of our studio. Studio Assistant Interns will work closely with various staff throughout their internship and report to the Executive Director.
All interns receive a complimentary Annual Membership as well as 24/7 keyholder access for the duration of their internship.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Familiarity with and appreciation for fine art print making (required) with hands-on experience making prints (preferred). While interns will strengthen their printmaking skills, interns should not expect to fully learn new printing process during the internship.
- Interest in art administration, education, fine art printing, and/or community-based art projects.
- Outgoing demeanor and strong communication skills
- Reliable and self-driven
- Organized and able to meet deadlines
- Priority is given to students in their final year of school
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and work samples to email@example.com.
- Work samples may be sent as a website or 3-5 .jpeg images.
- Applications will be reviewed until the positions are filled.
Internships typically begin the first week of January, June, and September, and continue for 14 weeks. However, we are able to work with students to match internships to their school schedules and requirements. Interns typically work two days per week. We are able to work with approximately two interns per semester.
Winter/Spring: December 1
Summer: April 1
Fall: July 15
Thank you to all of our current and past interns:
Samantha Foster (Columbia College)
Mariah Joyce (SAIC)
Ariandy Luna (Harold Washington)
Alize Zakharenko (SAIC)
Andrew Mariscal (Dominican University)
Ashley Houghton (SAIC)
Manisha Anil Rita
Aileen Castro (Marwen)
Martin Feld (Bennington College)
2017 and prior
Liz Merrit Kong
Ruth B. (Marwen)
Keara McGraw (Columbia College)
Faviola Esquivel (Marwen)
Spudnik Press Cooperative does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, selection of interns . We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Our Accessibility page includes additional information about getting to the studio and using the equipment.