- 4 permanent printing stations
- 2 portable printing stations
- Vacuum printing station (approval needed to use)
- Exposure Unit: 30"x48"
- Squeegees: Ranging from 6" to 24+"
- Scoop Coaters: Ranging from 10" to 24+"
- Power Washer
- Photo Emulsion
- Masking Tape
- Screens: 15+ on hand; First come, first serve; may not leave Spudnik; up to 14″x20″ image size
Relief, Intaglio, and Monoprinting
- Conrad Etching Press: Prints up to 24" wide
- Blick Etching Press: Prints up to 18" wide
- Vertical Ferric Chloride Tank
- Draw Knife (for cutting copper sheets)
- Basic carving tools (for wood or linoleum)
- Warming Tray
- Compressor & Airbrush (for aquatint)
- Paper Soaking Trays
- Tarleton and cheesecloth
- Liquid ground; hard and soft ball ground
- Parks Litho Press: Prints up to 24" plate
- Asphultum, Lithotine, Gum Arabic, Shop Black, Tapem, Talc
- 10" leather roller
- Line-O-Scribe Proofing Press: Prints 12″x18″
- Pilot Platen Press: Prints 5″x8″
- Pearl Motorized Platen Press: Prints 5″x8″
- Epson 4800 printer
- NuArc Platemaker
- AB Dick Offset Press: Prints up to 10″x16″
General Tools and Equipment
- 3 Drying Racks
- Guillotine paper cutter; cuts up to 24″
- 24" Paper cutter
- Paper Collator
- Jig Saw
- 2 Apple computers with CS4
- 11×17″ Scanner
- Laser printer: Prints 11×17" wide
- Files, clamps, rulers, spatulas
- Variety for brayers
- Cleaners: D*Solv, Simple Green, Mr. Clean, Alcohol
- Ink Modifiers and basic colors: for litho, etching, relief, silkscreen
- Craft Paper and Newsprint
- Paper Towels & Rags
- Baby Oil
- Bone folders
- Sewing Frame
- Eyelet setter and hole punches
- Heat gun
- Xyron Machine
Materials for Purchase
- Transparencies (8.5×11″ & 11×17″
- Pronto Plates
- Ball Grained Litho Plates
- Basic Printing Papers: Classic Crest, Stonehenge, White BFK paper, Lettra, Cougar
- Photopolymer plates and film
- Offset Plates and Clean Sheets
Materials not provided
- printing paper
- specific ink colors, or specialty inks
- general art supplies use for creating prints, like tracing paper, opaque markers, exacto knives, transfer paper, etc.
Standard Inks On Hand
- Lithography: Shop Mix Black, Crayon Black, Roll Up Black, Litho Black, Emerald Green, Golden Yellow, Yellow Ochre, White, Dark Brown, Dark Blue, Red
- Etching: Opaque White, Vine Black, Stiff Black, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Seina
- Relief: Black, Emerald, Opaque White
- Perfect Palette (for etching and relief): Ultramarine, Thalo Blue, Cobalt Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Medium, Thalo Green, Viridian Green, Cadmium Yellow, Raw Umber
- Screen Printing: Process Cyan, Process Magenta, Process Yellow, White, Medium Yellow, Dark Red, Ultra Blue, Dark Blue, Black, Green, Peacock Blue, Violet
This fall, our studio is expanding, adding self-publishing resources in a studio known as The Annex. Because of this, our pricing structure is slightly changing. For the most part, the total amount printers will pay to use Open Studio, will remain exactly the same. We are in the process of updating our website to reflect the new system.
All printers new to Spudnik Press must attend Orientation. We provide a tour, share how our organization works, and ways the studio can be used. Then, printers can become authorized for any of the processes and equipment they wish to use (Letterpress and Offset Authorizations require scheduling a lesson). Stay after orientation and begin printing that day!
Mondays: 6pm, sharp
Fridays: 12pm, sharp
or by appointment
Becoming a member of Spudnik Press is a simple way to support our studio. Learn more about memberships.
Open studio provides access to the printshop and the annex at a reduced price and is available to all who can print independently. A Studio Monitor is on hand for simple support and troubleshooting. No reservations required. Authorized annual members may reserve etching, litho, letterpress, and offset presses.
Open Studio Hours in The Printshop
Mondays & Thursdays: 6:30-11:00pm
Fridays & Saturdays: 12:30-5:00pm
Open Studio Hours in The Annex
Pricing (Same for both studios)
$5.00 first-time visitors
$5.00 Spudnik students
+ $10.00 material fee for use of printmaking facilities in the printshop
Hourly: $12 ($10 for Members)
4-Hour Block: $40 ($30 for Members)
- Available to all who can print independently
- Monitor on hand for simple support
- Call or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) for reservations. Some time limitations apply.
The Printshop: $120 per calendar month
3 consecutive months for $300
The Annex: $85 per calendar month
3 consecutive months for $200
Both Studios: $185 per calendar month
- Allows 24 hour access.
- Available to members only.
- Must be comfortable using studio with no monitor.
- Must first use the studio with monitor. We encourage using 3+ open studio sessions prior to becoming a keyholder
- E-mail or call with specific questions.
- Spudnik Press also has 3 private studios, available with a 6 month initial lease.
$10-15 Exposing screens (Includes no digital editing)
$5-10 Reclaiming screens
Individual Lessons and Printing Assistance
$35/hour, plus supplies
Member Rate: $30/hour
Spudnik Press can assist with a variety of projects, including publishing and consignment printing. We have hosted customized workshops, lead tours for students and professionals, organized project-oriented field trips, and collaborated with other organizations with similar goals as ours. Call (312-563-0302) or e-mail Angee (email@example.com ) for more information.