Spudnik Press is currently accepting applications for 2023-2024 Teaching Artists in our studio. They will lead *core curriculum classes as well as special topic courses at our studio. We are prioritizing the following topics: Letterpress, Relief & Monoprinting, and Book Arts, but welcome applications for all of our disciplines.
Teaching Artists will fulfill *core educational offerings at Spudnik Press through teaching introductory and advanced classes, private lessons, and have the opportunity to develop unique classes or workshops that build upon their personal artistic practice.
Teaching Artists will accrue experience in teaching varied groups and build on their personal art practice through their full access to Spudnik Press facilities, where they can also be collaborative and make lasting connections within our community.
*Core classes have existing syllabuses available and Teaching Artists are welcome to execute them as-written or propose modifications.
- Enthusiastic about printmaking and co learning
- Minimum one (1) year teaching experience preferred
- Familiarity with Google Workspace applications
- Located in the Chicago metropolitan area with reliable transportation to and from our studio, located at 1821 W Hubbard
- Able to commit a minimum of 12 hours per month
- Experience developing and implementing a structured and responsive class curriculum
- Self driven, independent work ethic in various printmaking skill sets
- Reliable and committed communicator
- $160 for a one-day workshop (includes 3 hours class time, half-hour prep time, and 1 hour of curriculum building)
- $595 for a 4-week class (includes 3 hours class time and half-hour prep time per session, plus 3 hours of curriculum building)
- $1155 for an 8-week class (includes 3 hours class time and half-hour prep time per session, plus 5 hours of curriculum building)
First time teachers at Spudnik will be additionally paid $35/hr for a 3-hour class & studio orientation. Returning teachers teaching a new course will be additionally paid $35/hr for a 2-hour class orientation.
PHYSICAL WORK & ENVIRONMENT
Spudnik Press is located in the West Hubbard Lofts at 1821 W Hubbard St, Suite 302 and is wheelchair accessible. Please review our accessibility notice here. We have several printmaking studios which include; Screenprinting, Risography, Letterpress, Relief & Monoprinting, and Intaglio.
- Application Fee: None; Free to apply
- Deadline To Apply: 8/21/23
- Info Session: another Virtual Info Session will be announced soon
- Final Notification: 9/22-29/23
- Onboarding: October 2023
- Classes Begin: November 2023
- Duration: 12 months
Submit your cover letter, CV, portfolio with an image list, and an example of a previously taught printmaking syllabus to info [@] spudnikpress [dot] org with subject line ‘Teaching Artist Application | 2023-2024 Term’. All application materials should be submitted as one PDF.
Portfolio should consist of 5-7 images: Images must not exceed 1MB each. Work should include print-based work and work from the last three years. Please provide title, medium, year of completion, and dimensions for each work in your Image List.
Spudnik Press will not replicate or share your submitted syllabus with the broader public as it remains your intellectual property.
Deadline for applications is EXTENDED until September 12, 2023 at 11:59pm.
For inquiries, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Teaching Opportunity is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.