Spudnik Press is launching the Studio Monitor Open Call to provide interested volunteers with 6 months of 24/7 access to our professional facilities, a flat file, and opportunities to expand their printmaking and studio tech skills. Through a weekly 4-hour commitment, Volunteer Studio Monitors support our Open Studio Hours while becoming more familiar with the Spudnik Press community. Currently, we are looking for 5-7 new Volunteer Studio Monitors to join us.
Open Studio at Spudnik Press provides studio access at a reduced price and is available to all who can print independently. You can learn more about the Open Studio sessions that we offer here. Each Volunteer Studio Monitor leads an Open Studio session each week. Their responsibilities include:
- Welcoming and supporting all guests.
- Providing basic troubleshooting and printing assistance.
- Using a database to record visits; Collecting and recording payments.
- Restocking supplies; Cleaning; Organizing.
- Seeking opportunities to improve the facilities at Spudnik Press Cooperative.
To fulfill these duties, all Volunteer Studio Monitors receive:
- 24/7 Keyholder access for the duration of their monitoring
- Provision of a flat file to store their work when using the printmaking facilities
- General orientation about the organization and their role
- Technical training on the various printmaking equipment at Spudnik Press
- Opportunities to expand their printmaking and studio tech skills such as workshops, classes, and events
- Sign-up duration: August 14 to August 24
- Invitational 1:1 August 26-September 2
- Onboarding: September 13-16
Programs at Spudnik Press are partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency and Builder’s Initiative.
This project is partially supported by a Chicago Arts Recovery Program grant from the City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events.