Deadline to Apply: November 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is an intensive eight-month program that provides emerging artists opportunities to develop the artistic and professional skills needed to build a successful career in the arts. Key program components work in conjunction to provide mentorship, technical training, meaningful interactions with art professionals, public programming experience, and leadership opportunities. These key program components consist of the following:
- Access to professional printmaking facilities
- Weekly seminars addressing various elements of professional practices
- Leadership experience through regularly monitoring Open Studio sessions.
- Presentation opportunities through culminating public projects.
Furthermore, as ambassadors of Spudnik Press Cooperative, Fellows play an important role in ensuring our members and studio users have a welcoming experience at our shop and also help us grow our community. The contributions Fellows make to our day-to-day operations are invaluable and help shape the future of our facilities.
Everyone’s safety is important to us. Participation in this program requires being onsite at Spudnik Press Cooperative and that per our Covid-19 Policy, all artists accepted into the program will be required to provide staff with proof of vaccination. Where possible, we will make reasonable accommodations for artists with a medical or religious exemption. The fellowship program will follow our COVID-19 Policies & Procedures, and will have both in-person and virtual elements:
Virtual (via Zoom):
- Public speaking experience: “Crossing Of the Fellows” artist talks
- Weekly Professional Development seminar sessions
- Studio Access Trainings
- 24 hour access to all facilities
- Open Studio monitoring responsibilities
- Additional Assistance Opportunities: With some programs suspended, there are limited opportunities to gain additional assistance in areas such as youth programming and teaching. While opportunities will be made available whenever possible, this portion of the Fellowship will be optional at this point in time.
- Public Programming: Designed and presented by fellows towards the end of the fellowship period.
The Studio Fellowship program best supports:
- Emerging artists, and artists at transitional points in their career.
- Artists with substantial printmaking experience, such that they are able to perform all monitoring duties.
- Artists whose current art practice requires access to printmaking facilities.
- Artists who already have a dedicated and regular studio practice.
- Artists who are able to commit about 8 hours a week to the fellowship program in addition to maintaining their art practice.
- Artists whose goal is to produce art a primary component of their career.
- Artists seeking opportunities to meet Chicago-based arts professionals.
- Artists interested in building meaningful connections with a creative community.
Please review our Fellowship Information Packet to learn more about:
- Program Overview & Components
- Fellowship Timeline
- Open Studio Monitoring
- Professional Development Seminar
- Additional Assistant Opportunities
Please thoroughly review the Fellowship Information Packet. Complete the Online Fellowship Application Form no later than Sunday, November 21, 2021. You will need to have the following ready to submit:
- Letter of interest addressing the following:
- Why is now a good time for your career and development as an artist to be part of this program?
- What goals would you like to accomplish through the fellowship? How do you plan to achieve them?
- How do you see the Fellowship and the resources at Spudnik contributing to your project?
- What is your training in printmaking processes and previous exposure to print facilities?
- What will you bring to the program?
- Project Statement: Outline and expound upon the project you are hoping to work on during the course of this Fellowship. 300 words max.
- Resume or CV
- Bio: 100 words max.
- 7-10 Images
- Confirmation that we will receive a letter of recommendation sent to email@example.com by the application deadline. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days prior to the deadline if you have any concerns about obtaining a letter of recommendation to discuss an alternative.
Deadline to Apply: Sunday, November 28, 2021
Fellowship Period: January 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022
Required Weekly Commitments:
- Professional Development Seminars: Most Wednesdays from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Individual Monitor Shifts: One of the following 4.25-hour per shift per week:
- Mondays 5:45 – 10:00 p.m.
- Thursdays 5:45 – 10:00 p.m.
- Saturdays 9:45 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Saturdays 1:45 – 6:00 p.m.
Any inquiries regarding our Studio Fellowship can be directed to Grace Makuch, email@example.com.