Deadline to Apply: January 7, 2018
The Spudnik Press Exhibitions Program invites exhibition proposals from artists and curators. This is our annual opportunity for individuals or collaborators to submit unsolicited proposals for solo or small group exhibitions. Proposals may be for existing or new work. Membership at Spudnik Press is not required to submit proposals.
Exhibitions are selected by a committee of Spudnik Press members using the curatorial statement (below) as a guidepost for all curatorial decisions. Strong proposals will resonate with the curatorial priorities of Spudnik Press Cooperative.
While exhibitions may feature artwork in any media, 2-D or wall-mounted artwork is typically best suited for the gallery, which functions as a multi-purpose space. We welcome proposals from beyond Chicago, however, applicants should be aware that there is a very limited budget per exhibition and may be responsible for much of the shipping costs and travel to and from Chicago.
Spudnik Press Cooperative Curatorial Statement:
Spudnik Press exhibitions amplify the impact of our resources by providing opportunities for artists and audiences to move through a variety of creative roles: from making to experiencing, and learning to teaching.
Spudnik Press showcases work that has ongoing relevance to our mission and vision, while also encouraging a breadth of community participation. Exhibitions create an active platform to expand and diversify our cooperative.
To achieve these goals, Spudnik Press exhibitions:
- Are selected by a curatorial committee of active members.
- Emphasize printmaking and print-based projects within contemporary art practices.
- Showcase the creative, analytical or technical process of art making.
- Feature exceptional projects, whether produced at Spudnik Press or beyond.
- Engage diverse levels of professional experience.
Spudnik Press exhibitions offer participating artists opportunities to:
- Produce new fine art prints.
- Present corresponding educational programming.
- Present Artist Talks.
- Proposals due: Sunday, January 7, 2018
- Applicants will be notified by February 2, 2018
- Exhibitions will occur between early Spring 2018 and February 28, 2019.
- Exhibitions typically run between 5 and 8 weeks.
Additional Exhibition Resources:
E-mail the following to email@example.com with “Exhibition Proposal” in the subject line:
1) PDF including the following documents in the following order:
- Working title of the exhibition
- Exhibition Narrative: Description of the exhibition, both conceptually and visually. 150 – 250 words.
- Artist Statement(s) and Bio(s): Brief statement for each artist and bio for each artist. Include websites, blogs, notable artistic achievements, other relevant material.
- Resume or CV: No longer than two pages. Please only submit a resume for the curator, solo artist or main contact for group shows, not each individual artist.
- Three professional references for the curator, solo artist or main contact
- Image list including artist name, title, medium, year of completion, dimensions, and name of file
2) Work Samples:
- For solo exhibitions, include up to 10 images of work that will be included in the exhibition. Group exhibition proposals may include up to 3 images per artist. Sketches may be included for forthcoming work. Please include an image list. Images need not exceed 1 MB each.
- Work samples files should be titled LASTNAME_01.jpg, LASTNAME_02.jpg, etc.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.