Deadline to Apply: March 25, 2018
Spudnik Press is accepting applications for our newly revamped fellowship program!
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is committed to providing Chicago’s most committed and talented emerging artists with comprehensive professional opportunities and artistic and technical support. To this end, the Studio Fellowship packages many opportunities for artists to advance their artistic practice.
During this seven-month program, Fellows receive unfettered access to the professional printmaking facilities at Spudnik Press Cooperative. By working in our shared studio and monitoring weekly Open Studio sessions, fellows are actively engaged with our community of printmakers and benefit from ongoing support and feedback from staff and peers.
The impact of the fellowship program is greatly expanded through a weekly professional development seminar, as well as by providing Fellows with the unique experience of planning and presenting two culminating public projects.
Fellows also receive advanced notice and discounted registration for all Professional Practices Programs offered to our members. Opportunities include portfolio reviews with curators, off-site visits to resources and arts professionals throughout Chicago, exhibition opportunities, and more. By gifting each fellow a complimentary one-year Studio Membership, fellows can continue to take advantage of all member opportunities for the five months following their Fellowship.
Studio Fellowship Mission
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is an intensive seven-month program that provides emerging artists opportunities to develop the artistic and professional skills needed to build a successful career in the arts. Key program components work in conjunction to provide mentorship, technical training, meaningful interactions with art professionals, public programming experience, and leadership opportunities. These key program components consist of the following:
- Access to professional printmaking facilities
- Weekly seminars addressing various elements of professional practices
- Leadership experience through regularly monitoring Open Studio sessions.
- Presentation opportunities through two culminating public projects.
Furthermore, as ambassadors of Spudnik Press Cooperative, Fellows play an important role in ensuring our members and studio users have a welcoming experience at our shop and also help us grow our community. The contributions Fellows make to our day-to-day operations are invaluable and help shape the future of our facilities.
The Studio Fellowship program best supports:
- Emerging artists, typically recent college graduates.
- Artists with substantial printmaking experience, such that they are able to perform all monitoring duties.
- Artists whose current art practice requires access to printmaking facilities.
- Artist who have are already dedicated to a regular studio practice.
- Artists who are able to commit about 8 hours a week to the fellowship program in addition to maintaining their art practice.
- Artists whose goal is to create or sell art a primary source of income.
- Artist in transitional points in their career.
- Artists seeking opportunities to meet Chicago-based arts professionals.
- Artists interested in building meaningful connections with a creative community.
Please thoroughly review the SPC Fellowship Information Packet. Download and complete the 2018 Studio Fellowship Application Form. Return this application form and all requested materials to email@example.com no later than Sunday, March 25, 2018.
- Deadline to Apply: Sunday, March 25, 2018
- Fellowship Period: May 2 – November 30, 2018
- Fellowship Orientation & Training: May 2018. Dates & times TBD.
- Weekly Professional Development Seminar: Wednesdays 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. beginning May 2.
- Individual Monitor Shifts Begin: Friday, June 1, 2018
Any inquiries regarding our Studio Fellowship can be directed to Marcela A. Serment, firstname.lastname@example.org.