Deadline to Apply: Sunday, September 22, 2019
Additional Important Dates
Fellowship Period: November 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
Required Weekly Commitments:
- Professional Development Seminars: Most Wednesdays from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- Individual Monitor Shifts: One of the following 4.5-hour per shift per week:
- Mondays 5:30 – 10:00 p.m.
- Thursdays 5:30-10:00 p.m.
- Fridays 12:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturdays 12:30 – 5:00 p.m.
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is an intensive eight-month program that provides emerging artists opportunities to develop the artistic and professional skills needed to build a successful career in the arts. Key program components work in conjunction to provide mentorship, technical training, meaningful interactions with art professionals, public programming experience, and leadership opportunities.
The Studio Fellowship is committed to providing Chicago’s most committed and talented emerging artists comprehensive professional opportunities and artistic and technical support that specifically addresses the needs of printmakers. To this end, the Studio Fellowship packages many opportunities for artists to advance their artistic practice.
Fellows receive unfettered access to the professional facilities at Spudnik Press Cooperative to support the creation of a new body of print-based artwork. Through working in our shared studio and monitoring weekly Open Studio sessions, fellows are actively engaged with our community of printmakers and benefit from ongoing support and feedback from staff and peers.
The impact of the Fellowship Program is greatly expanded through a weekly professional development seminar. Throughout twenty sessions, Fellows will develop the artistic and professional skills needed to build a successful career in the arts. Topics range from self-promotion for artists to artwork documentation to business planning.
Fellows have the unique experience of planning and presenting two culminating public projects. A collaboratively planned public program allows the Fellows to conceptualize, organize, and implement a community-based event from beginning to end. The Crossing of the Fellows is an opportunity for incoming and outgoing Fellows to formally present their work with each other and an audience of Spudnik Press supporters.
Finally, fellows receive advanced notice and discounted registration for all Professional Practices Programs offered to our members. Opportunities includes portfolio reviews with curators, off-site visits to resources and arts professionals throughout Chicago, exhibition opportunities, and more. By gifting each fellow a complimentary one-year Studio Membership, fellows can continue to take advantage of all member opportunities for the four months following their Fellowship.
The Studio Fellowship program best supports:
- Emerging artists, typically recent college graduates.
- Artists at transitional points in their career.
- Artists with substantial printmaking experience, such that they are able to perform all monitoring duties.
- Artists whose current art practice requires access to printmaking facilities.
- Artists who already have a dedicated and regular studio practice.
- Artists who are able to commit about 8 hours a week to the fellowship program in addition to maintaining their art practice.
- Artists whose goal is to create or sell art a primary source of income.
- Artists seeking opportunities to meet Chicago-based arts professionals.
- Artists interested in building meaningful connections with a creative community.
Please thoroughly review the SPC Fellowship Information Packet. Download and complete the 2019/2020 Studio Fellowship Application Form. Return this application form and all requested materials to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, September 22, 2019.
Any inquiries regarding our Studio Fellowship can be directed to Jess Christy, email@example.com.