Guest Artist: Alex Kostiw
- Have you always wanted to try your hand at comics?
- Are you an experienced comic artist, looking to geek out with a group of fellow enthusiasts?
- Maybe you are a visual artist looking for a break from your other practice, or a writer who wants to see what pictures can bring to your work?
All are welcome at this Drink & Draw where Alex Kostiw will teach us how comics work—and why! We will then put those theories into practice together. Starting with pure structure, we’ll look at how panels express hierarchy, rhythm, and emotion through shape and arrangement. Then we’ll generate a variety of images from abstract to still-life, from drawings based on reference images to a collection of collage materials, which we will cut up into panels or turn into “viewfinder” style overlays for a finished page. As we go, we’ll discuss the different relationships between text and picture in comics: how text can complement, expand on, or emphasize picture, and vice versa. Finally, we’ll write short poems for our pages, whether completely original or with found text.
- Plenty of paper (any and all colors)
- Scissors and glue/tape
- Collage materials (magazines, junk mail, etc.)
- Pens, pencils, or whatever you like to draw with
- A tablet for creating digital images
Zoom Meeting ID: 939 3121 8101
Drink & Draw [Virtual] is a low-key drop-in social workshop devoted to staying creative from home. There are no pretensions and newcomers are always welcome, so invite your friends to join! Each Drink & Draw [Virtual] features a new guest artist and a new theme or project that uses pencil, paper, and everyday household supplies. Don’t have a sketchbook? Hosts will help you improvise. Find us on Zoom, a free app for your phone or computer. And of course: BYOB!
Love the experience? Pitch in to our Venmo Tip Jar (@spudnikpress) to directly support the featured artist and Spudnik Press Cooperative.