The first step to printing at Spudnik Press Cooperative is to attend a Studio Access Training to become authorized for the equipment or area of the studio they would like to use.
Studio Authorization Sessions are affordable 90-minute to 3-hour sessions led by Spudnik Press staff. These sessions ensure that all makers are proficient and confident using the equipment in our studios and following our specific procedures and guidelines. Each session will begin with an orientation of our studio and mission. Participants will then go through a thorough training session in their desired studio area.
These sessions are not lessons: they are for makers who already have satisfactory knowledge of their craft.
If you do have prior experience:
Studio Access Training is always required prior to printing or participating in Open Studio or other Studio Use Programs. Studio Access Training times vary for different processes, and is ONLY for those with recent and thorough experience. If you have experience, but it is not recent, a class or private lesson can get you up and running at Spudnik!
Please register at least two full days in advance.
What you can expect:
- Small group setting
- 90-minute to 3-hour session
- Overview of the ways artists can print independently at Spudnik Press
- Details regarding rules, regulations, and best practices specific to Spudnik Press
- A focus on personal safety, care and maintenance of tools and supplies
- A combination of discussions, demos, and hands-on projects
- Opportunity to ask technical questions and brush up on techniques
- Complimentary Open Studio coupon valued at up to $35
Private Studio Access Trainings:
If you are unable to attend scheduled group authorizations, we offer private authorizations for $65 (90-minute) or $125 (3-hours). To schedule a private authorization, please email us, and include what authorization(s) you are interested in and your availability. Please note that we typically schedule authorizations 1-2 weeks in advance.
Minimum Requirements to Become Authorized:
- Attend an Authorization session or have recently taken a multi-week class that includes Authorization.
- Have recent experience with the equipment you would like to use (within 2 years)
- Have thorough experience with the equipment you would like to use (8-week class or equivalent; Experience required varies based on process and equipment).
- Be comfortable working independently.
- Demonstrate safe and clean printmaking or art-making habits.
- Demonstrate respect to our staff and our equipment.
For artists who can generally afford to use our Open Studio, but are not able to cover the initial cost of Studio Access Trainings, we do have a limited number of discounted spaces available. Discounts or fee waivers are based on availability and not guaranteed. To be considered for a need-based fee reduction, please fill out this form.
Our Accessibility page includes additional information about getting to the studio and using the equipment.