Studio Access Training is always required prior to attending your first Open Studio or becoming a Keyholder.
New To Spudnik? Sign Up for our Welcome Package
After completing our Welcome Package, you may book additional à la carte Studio Access Trainings to become authorized in additional areas of the studio.
What Are Studio Access Trainings?
Studio Access Trainings ensure that those with have prior experience from school or another print studio will be proficient and confident using the equipment in our studio. We offer these staff-led trainings in the following areas:
- Relief & Monoprinting
- Nu-Arc Platemaker
- Post-Production Tools
What you can expect:
These sessions are NOT lessons, but specifically for makers who already have thorough experience with similar equipment.
Minimum Requirements to Become Authorized:
- Have recent experience with the equipment you would like to use (within 2 years)
- Have thorough experience with the equipment you would like to use (8-week class or equivalent; Experience required varies based on process and equipment).
- Be comfortable working independently.
- Demonstrate safe and clean printmaking or art-making habits.
- Demonstrate respect to our staff and our equipment.
Part 1: Online via Zoom
- Orientation to our mission and programs
- Details regarding rules, regulations, and best practices specific to Spudnik Press
- Overview of skill checklist; Review prior experience in the area of authorization
- Opportunity to ask technical questions and brush up on techniques
- Schedule and determine work plan for “Part 2” to allow adequate assessment of skills
Part 2: On Site
- Studio tour
- Safety demonstrations
- Review of any process or skills that could not be addressed through zoom
- Brief period to work in the studio independently with staff available for support
- Review skill checklist and confirm authorization
Need-Based Fee Reduction:
For those who can generally afford our studio fees, but are not able to cover the initial cost of a trainings, we have a limited number of fee discounts or waivers. These discounts can be provided based on availability and are not guaranteed. To be considered for a need-based fee reduction, please fill out this form.
Our Accessibility page includes additional information about getting to the studio and using the equipment.